
For Pioneer Day this year we had a quite weekend at home. I have been promising the kids a hike up the canyon so we ventured out. We had so much fun and can't believe we don't go up the canyon more often. I guess we just finally had the time to go and get too busy in our daily lives to enjoy our surroundings. This hike is literally five minutes from our house. Maple Canyon is world reknown for great rock climbing. We were mesmerized by the rock climbers and Matt and I have decided to give it a try some time, especially where we live so close to prime rock climbing.

There were several little caves and the cobblestones were so fun to climb on. We all realized it is so much easier to climb up them then down though.


They even had ropes already in place to help get over some of the boulders. There were also spots that you have to crawl under boulders. Climbing and hiking with suckers isn't the safest thing to do. I should have passed out the trail treats after these "hairy" spots.

We are lucky we didn't end up with a sucker lodged down someone throat..

THE ADVENTURE....
Well, we were having such a great time and I was all excited to keep hiking so when came to this slight obstacle. I decided to try it first. Matt said we better not and I remember reading online that this isn't suggested unless you have the proper gear (meaning harness and rock climbing atire). I got up it pretty easy and Jabin decided to try it. He got almost to the top and Matt was telling him to look back for a picture which scared him, hence, "never look down." I helped him at the top and agreed with Matt that this is not something we do with the kids. It was about 30 feet and slippery. Jabin and I went a little further and I really wanted to go all the way to the top but I could tell Jabin was very nervous and thinking about how he was going to get down. Luckily Matt came up knowing that Jabin would need help.

Going up...

Coming down monkey style hooked to dad..Our Hero.

I had to bring Jabin's hat and glasses down and the girls said I looked like a gangster. I can appreciate how hard rock climbing is because by the time I got to the bottom my hands were burned and giving out. I definatly need to calous up my hands and get some arm strength before I can rock climb.

Cute Haddy

Setting the timer and running...

You can see the small little rock climber in the back. It looked so fun.

Can't wait to come back!
1 comment:
I love that you do such fun things with your family! And how cute is Haddy hanging out with a sucker in her mouth? Stinkin' cute girl! Dallas is turning into a pretty young woman and Jabes is so handsome!
Post a Comment